I made a comment today and the person I was talking to promptly asked, “What the hell does that mean?”
“Crazy as hell,” I stated; but truthfully I really had no idea.
I used to think it was something my sister made up when she referred to me. She would always (not exaggerating) call me ‘crazy as a road lizard’. Perhaps it came from when I chased her around the pool table with her dead goldfish, and she ran and screamed like a little girl. I laughed so hard till I cried and my stomach ached and I peed myself. Oh yeah of the two of us I’m the bratty baby of the family.
So, I got to thinking, “What the hell does ‘crazy as a road lizard’ mean?” No one has ever asked me that before and in my family we just know, I think.
I invoked the Internet god, Google, for the answer. Well, from what I could gather it refers to a lizard on the side of a road and if they try to cross the road they’re crazy. Hmm, I think you’re giving them way to much credit. Unless, of course, you’re referring to the Geico Gecko.
While I was at it I searched for some other sayings that have had the pleasure of being passed down or I’ve heard:
- Idle hands are the devil’s workshop — is supposedly some kind of Proverb which means an idle person will do evil things.
- Don’t let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya — basically means don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
- Dumb as a box of rocks — well, a box of rocks is inanimate and has no intelligence and you’re being put on the same intelligence level as a box of rocks.
- Tighter than Dick’s hatband — apparently this idiom is supposed to reference someone who is miserly, but that’s not how my uses it. I’ll let you figure that one out.
- Batshit Crazy — is undoubtedly my personal favorite. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), since 1971 it: means “crazy, mad, insane.” The OED notes that batshit may also function “as an intensifier, esp. in batshit crazy” The OED ’s first citation dates from 1993
Do you have any phrases that you grew up on and still say or heard, please share them in the comments section. Definitely share the WTF one’s .