Like Netflix, Barnes and Noble is the Devil. Every time I go in there I come out with a book. However yesterday, I made the mistake of biting because they keep sending me 30% off coupons. I went under the guise of only buying ONE book – not that I need another book. I could probably open my own bookstore with the number of books I have. More unread than read.
Anyway, I went in with the intention of buying ONE book if I found something that struck me, but nooooo Barnes and Noble had to have Buy 2, Get 1 Free. I usually don’t, but this time they had three books I want to read. I picked them up walked around contemplating whether or not to buy them. I sat at the B&N Cafe with my Chai tea and contemplated some more. Then decided not to. I congratulate myself on my will power and head for the door.
Myself: “When will they have all three books you want to read with the Buy 2, Get 1 Free?”
Me: “They always have this type of sale.
Myself: “Yes, but they never have three that you want.”
Myself: “You should just go ahead and get them. It’s only going to be about $28 for three books. Less than $10 a book.”
I stop just about a step or two from the door, pause, turn round and head back to the Buy 2, Get 1 Free table. All the while I can feel Myself grinning. I pick them up again.
Me: “I don’t need them”
Myself: “Get them.”
We (Me & Myself) bandy back and forth. I put the books down and pick them up again.
Well, needless to say Myself won.
Man, I need to get better control over Myself.
I put together a tentative 2015 To Be Read List based on the books I could easily get to. The first three are from the Buy 2, Get 1 Free
- The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- The Killer Next Door by Alex Marwood (Penguin First to Read)
- First Impressions by Charlie Lovett (Netgalley)
- Tumbling by Diane McKinney-Whetstone
- The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo
- The Inspector in Silence by Hakan Nesser
- Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell
- The Pact /My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
- Sarah’s Key / A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay
- God’ll Cut You Down by John Safran (Penguin First to Read)
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- The Alchemist by PauloCoelho
- Dark Places / Sharp Objects /Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn